36° 21.046′ N, 82° 12.748′ W. Marker is in Elizabethton, Tennessee, in Carter County. Marker is on Academy Street 0.1 miles south of Broad Street (U.S. 19E). Click for map. The marker stands behind the Carter County Board of Education on Academy Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 Academy Street, Elizabethton TN 37643, United States of America.
Marker Text: These stones are from the foundation of the academy established Sept. 13, 1806, with Maj. George Duffield, Chairman, Nathaniel Taylor, George Williams, Alexander Doran & John Greer, Trustees. In 1807, Andrew Taylor, Abraham Henry and Reuben Thornton were added. The first brick building was erected near Doe River about 1809.