Location: 36° 21.217′ N, 82° 12.256′ W. Marker is in Elizabethton, Tennessee, in Carter County. Marker can be reached from Broad Street 0.1 miles east of Circle Drive, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is located next to the visitors' parking lot for the John and Landon Carter Mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1013 Broad Street, Elizabethton TN 37643, United States of America.
Marker Text: “The Mansion” was built before 1780 by John Carter and his son Landon. John Carter was chairman of the Watauga Association, a court of five men elected by the settlers of the Watauga Count in May 1772, “to govern and direct for the common good of all the people.” Carter County is named for Landon and Elizabethton is named for his wife Elizabeth MacLin. The family cemetery is located to the east of the house.